We are looking for a Software Engineer to join our SubSLAM Product Engineering Team!
Location: Bristol, UK - Hybrid Remote
Contract: Permanent, full time
Salary: up to £65k if you have all of the skills & experience we are looking for
We are Vaarst, a technology company building cutting edge products to solve real-world problems, using techniques in artificial intelligence, autonomy, and computer vision.
We have a core focus on helping the world become a cleaner, greener, and safer place. We seek to deploy technology for good.
We believe in putting innovation to work and creating a difference in the world with boundary-pushing underwater technology for our clients in offshore wind and the subsea industry.
We are committed to building an inclusive workplace and flexible workplace that brings the best out of our people.. Our approach is hybrid-remote with 2-3 days a week in our state-of-the-art Bristol Office Hub, designed with creativity, productivity, and wellness in mind. We understand everyone is different and we’ve designed policies to support our whole workforce in establishing a great work-life balance. We support and encourage applicants of all genders and backgrounds.
This role will be working to develop exciting new capabilities for our SubSLAM X2 Camera system (see it in action here), working primarily in C++ and Python, employing high quality software engineering principles and practices, and exploiting computer vision techniques such as SLAM. You will also work with our R&D team to mature active research into well-tested, production ready code.
Within your team, you will contribute towards the design, development and implementation of our products. You will be actively engaged in building quality solutions through peer reviews, continuous improvement and using our continuous integration pipelines.
This role will give you the opportunity to get involved in field trials to test and evaluate new functionality and support deployment of software updates to customers. You will use your experience to help shape the technology and processes we use to develop SubSLAM X2’s embedded software, in addition to how it interacts with other components as part of an offshore surveying solution.
We work in an exciting and dynamic environment where everyday is likely to be a little different but here are some of the main responsibilities you will have in the role:
- Collaborating on technical discussions and decisions
- Contributing towards the complete software development process from conception to deployment
- Maintaining and upgrading the software following deployment
- Enhancing the end-to-end life cycle of software development
- Modifying and testing changes to previously developed programs
- Breaking down requirements and building appropriate solutions
- Building knowledge in the company; share yours and absorb others’
You Will Also...
- Work closely with researchers to design, develop and maintain high quality software to enable cutting edge research in 3D computer vision
- Make an impact in the energy transition space, helping the move from oil & gas to renewables
- Be part of a great company with very talented people that will revolutionise an industry
- Continue to learn and develop your personal and professional toolkits with lots of opportunities for collaboration, access to learning tools and events.
About you & what you will bring
We’re looking for an experienced and talented software engineer who has what it takes to make a real impact in this role. Whilst SLAM experience would be a distinct advantage, you may have enough of the right skills from the list below to be considered a strong candidate:
- Developing production level, modern C++ and Python
- Knowledge of Computer Vision Techniques such as SLAM, Visual Odometry, Structure from Motion, Calibration algorithms
- Experience of working with ROS
- 1+ Years applied experience in industry or relevant PostDoc
Additional Experience (desirable but not essential)
You may not have loads of experience in all of the things below and we are happy to work on developing your skillsets, but you will have a general understanding and working knowledge of the following:
- Developing and deploying Robotic Autonomous Systems.
- Working with ARM and embedded development
- Working with hardware devices using serial, I2C, etc.
- Working with 3D and Video data, including mesh and point clouds.
- Using OpenCV library, PCL, Eigen & Docker
If this sounds right up your street, then we want to hear from you!
We have a simple process we take all our candidates through to help ensure you are the right person for us and that Vaarst is the right company for you.
- Submit your application with your CV, showcasing your skills and experience against the skills listed in the job advert. There will be a couple of questions on elements that are important to the role.
- A short 20-minute phone screen with our HR partner. We will tell you more about our role, the team and business, and allow us to learn more about you, why you applied, and what you can bring to Vaarst. You’ll have the opportunity to ask any questions you have.
- CCAT Assessment – The Cognitive Criteria Aptitude test will include questions on verbal, numerical and spatial reasoning.
- A 1hour interview with a couple of members of our team. This part of the process allows you to get a real feel for the work the team is doing and allows us to learn more about your skillsets. In the interview, we will talk about your previous experience in quality and testing. We’ll ask some questions around technologies we use, key skills for the role, and what we look for in a team member. Again, you’ll have the opportunity to ask any questions you have.
- A 30-minute follow-up with our CTO to check in with you and get your thoughts on whether the role is for you, answer any of your questions that may have come up throughout the process, and clarify expectations
- Offer! If you are successful in the process, we will follow up with an offer for the role.
We have adopted anonymised recruitment. This means that your name, date of birth and other personal details will not be seen by the sift panel.
Vaarst is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace, should you require any reasonable adjustment throughout the recruitment process, please do not hesitate to let a member of the Talent team know.
So, you think you might want to join Vaarst? We don’t blame you - this is an amazing place to work!
People join Vaarst because they are excited by the possibility of leaving their own mark on the world and developing solutions that solve real world problems. Although we share the same vision, we value varied perspectives, and we adapt to fit different people from all walks of life. Not only does that make for a genuinely awesome team of colleagues, but it also makes day-to-day life more interesting, and it’s how we keep evolving and getting better at what we do.
What’s in it for you? Not to blow our own trumpet, but you’ll get to work with a passionate, smart and highly driven team with an incredible range of skills.
We also offer a competitive salary, up to 33 days’ holiday (starting at 25 days), a £500 loyalty reward after 2 years’ service and a flexible approach to hybrid/connected working, because we know that work-life balance is important too. Other benefits include:
- Private medical insurance including dental and optical cover
- Generous pension scheme
- Progressive and generous parental leave benefits
- Additional training and personal development
- A people focused, inclusive culture with monthly social events
Don't meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and ethnic minorities are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification/ skill. At Vaarst we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, so if you're excited about this role but your experience doesn't align perfectly with every skill in the job advert, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Vaarst is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
Other companies call this role: Senior Developer, Software Developer, Software Test Engineer, SLAM Engineer, Senior Test Automation Engineer, Senior QA Engineer, Senior Tester
Vaarst is proud to be an equal opportunities employer