Join us from the beginning of our US journey as our new Technical Sales Engineer!
Location: US (preferably Houston or NY), 50-80 days per year offshore
Contract: Permanent, full time with option to work from home
Salary: $125 - $140k + offshore uplift if you have all the skills & experience we are looking for
We are Vaarst, a technology company building cutting edge products to solve real-world problems, using techniques in artificial intelligence, autonomy, and computer vision.
We have a core focus on helping the world become a cleaner, greener, and safer place. We seek to deploy technology for good.
We believe in putting innovation to work and creating a difference in the world with boundary-pushing underwater technology for our clients in offshore wind and the subsea industry. Take a look at our SubSLAM product in action https://bit.ly/SubSLAMX2!
We understand everyone is different and we’ve designed policies to support our whole workforce in establishing a great work-life balance. We support and encourage applicants of all genders and backgrounds.
We are looking for a highly motivated technical sales engineer to join our small but growing team in the USA with the expectation of working anywhere to 50-80 days per year offshore, growing the company’s sales funnel as well as attending conferences onshore.
As Technical sales and operations lead, you will form part of a new and growing team in our US business, becoming part of the solution to the ever-growing challenge of climate change. Vaarst is dedicated to providing clients with the best data available as quickly as possible with the SubSLAM system.
The SubSLAM system is a visual inertial sensor that provides live 3D point cloud models to submillimetre accuracy, this gives you live feedback on data collection and is truly revolutionary to the industry. Our product offering goes beyond the camera system and will incorporate our data management platform Atlas as well as industry leading updates and developments. We provide accurate and visually appealing 3D datasets for engineering purposes, driving renewable and more sustainable methods for inspection purposes. Within this role you will oversee the customer success path from the point of business development until offshore operations. This will include but will may not be limited to - technical expertise and support, training and working onshore/offshore with clients as necessary.
In what will be an exciting & dynamic role you will work across the full spectrum of measurement tasks in the subsea world and will see you working on projects in Offshore Energy, Civil Engineering & Scientific Research around the world.
When not offshore, you will work closely with our teams in the New York office to support technical sales, proposal tendering, writing procedures for various operational demands and providing training to assist with the company objectives and values around growing & learning together.
Other companies call this role: Customer Success Manager, Operational Manager
We work in an exciting and dynamic environment where every day is likely to be a little different, but here are some of the main responsibilities you will have in the role:
- Lead and support on technical sale
- Plan, execute and deliver Vaarst Data Services projects
- Collect robust 3D datasets using SubSLAM on projects globally
- Execute and manage post-processing workflows
- Assist with developing sales funnel across multiple markets
- Manage report writing and delivery
- Communicate with customers at all stages of the project life cycle
- Maintain workflows through-out the business to ensure exceptionally high-quality delivery
- Support training our customers in the use of Vaarst technologies
- Building knowledge in the company; share yours and absorb others’
- Work hand in hand with the Rovco team in USA
- Grow knowledge base of offshore tools and sensors
- Maintain and grow the feedback loops between customers and Vaarst product team
- Manage first and second stage support for customers
- Project management and ability to supervise offshore operations
- Work independently and take initiatives
- Gain Knowledge of offshore tools, ROV’s and sensors
About you & what you will bring
We’re looking for an experienced and talented Technical Sales Engineer who has what it takes to make a real impact in this role. If you have experience in any of the following, we want to hear from you:
- Strong working knowledge of 3D data sets – photogrammetry, Lidar, sonar etc.
- Relevant bachelor's degree in mathematics, Engineering, Computer Science or similar
- Extensive offshore experience with subsea operations, preferably at a senior level
- Delivering reports and data deliverables to clients
- AutoCAD 2D and 3D and/or other drawing program experience
- Solving problems and getting stuck in with new challenges
- Ability to improvise, adapt and overcome
- Must be resilient to change with the ability to adapt in a fast paced environment
- Start-up background or experience would be preferable
We invest heavily in the growth & development of our people so don’t expect everyone to have all of the skills & experience we are looking for on day one. However, if you have any experience in these areas in addition to the above then you are likely to be a great fit for the role & we would really like to hear from you:
- Metrology campaign experience, specifically spool-piece metrologies
- Development of survey procedures
- Data Acquisition
- Processing, Analysis and Reporting
- Tooling knowledge
- Pipeline Inspection experience
- Oil and gas inspection experience, specifically structural inspections
- Chain metrology
- Damage surveys
- UWILD experience
- Naval architecture
- Platform inspections
- Hull inspections
- Renewable Offshore Wind inspection experience
- Site Characterization inspections
- Cable pre-lay survey
- Boulder removal
- UXO survey
- Experience with the following software packages:
- Agisoft Metashape
- PolyWorks Inspector
- Integration of survey sensors to new spreads:
- Knowledge of communication protocols – Ethernet, VDSL, Powerline, etc.
- Knowledge of DC power systems
- Cable splicing – cable diagrams, soldering, potting
- Basic fabrication of sensors mounts – hand tools, basic power tools
- Basic sensor knowledge – MBES, SSS or other survey tools
- Experience with working with or alongside ROVs/AUVs
- Experience with maritime operations and ships
- Experience of setting up basic networks from scratch including NAS, UPS and Internet connectivity
- Knowledge of Linux operating systems, command line computing, networking, Python
- Project Management experience with offshore operations
We have a simple process we take all our candidates through to help ensure you are the right person for us and that Vaarst is the right company for you.
- Submit your application with your CV, showcasing your skills and experience against the skills listed in the job advert. There will be a couple of questions on elements that are important to the role.
- A short 20-minute phone screen with one of our team. We will tell you more about our role, the team and business, and allow us to learn more about you, why you applied, and what you can bring to Vaarst. You’ll have the opportunity to ask any questions you have.
- CCAT Assessment – The Cognitive Criteria Aptitude test will include questions on verbal, numerical and spatial reasoning.
- A 1.5-hour interview with a couple of members of our team. This part of the process allows you to get a real feel for the work the team is doing and allows us to learn more about your skillsets. In the interview, we will talk about your previous experience in quality and testing. We’ll ask some questions around technologies we use, key skills for the role, and what we look for in a team member. Again, you’ll have the opportunity to ask any questions you have.
- Offer! If you are successful in the process, we will follow up with an offer for the role.
We have adopted anonymised recruitment. This means that your name, date of birth and other personal details will not be seen by the sift panel.
Vaarst is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace, should you require any reasonable adjustment throughout the recruitment process, please do not hesitate to let a member of the Talent team know.