We are looking for a Lead Test Engineer to join our team!
Location: Bristol, UK – Hybrid Remote
Contract: Permanent, full-time
Salary: £50,000 - £65,000 dependent on Skills and Experience
We are Vaarst, a technology company building cutting edge products for maritime & subsea, using techniques in artificial intelligence, autonomy and computer vision. We believe in putting innovation to work and creating a difference in the world with boundary-pushing underwater technology for our clients in offshore wind and the subsea industry. Take a look at one of our products in action https://bit.ly/SubSLAMX2!
We are looking for a highly motivated Lead Test Engineer to join our team in Bristol.
This role will be working within and across our software development teams at Vaarst to build our testing capability around our products. You will be looking at testing practices, processes, tooling and frameworks, identifying areas for improvement, and using your knowledge and experience to implement those improvements to testing across the business. You will also work within teams, contributing towards testing activities on a day-to-day basis; helping teams to move forward with both their workload and testing quality and maturity.
You will work with teams to build testing into the development process and continuously improve the approach; supporting industry best practices and building quality into our products throughout the process. You will be the subject matter expert for all levels of testing from unit level through to functional, UI and holistic system testing.
We work in an exciting and dynamic environment where every day is likely to be a little different but here are some of the main responsibilities you will have in the role:
- Work across development teams to introduce, promote and sustain good practices in testing in the SDLC
- Identify potential areas for improvement in testing and facilitate those improvements
- Lead introduction of new tools, methodologies, techniques, and processes in the testing space
- Help solve testing challenges associated with both software and hardware devices
- Work within the teams to contribute towards testing activities
- Building knowledge in the company; share yours and absorb others’
- Mentor and train more junior members of the team
About you & what you will bring
We’re looking for an experienced and talented Lead Test Engineer who has what it takes to make a real impact in this role. If you have these skills and experience this could be you:
- Experience with an OO language, Python or ReactJS
- Experience leading testing practices across multiple teams
- Used a breadth of tools and frameworks to support testing approaches
- Strong Test Automation skillset
- Security Testing experience
- Agile development practices
- Experience working industry best practice such as TDD, BDD, CI/CD
- Demonstrable relevant commercial experience
We have a simple process we take all our candidates through to help ensure you are the right person for us and that Vaarst is the right company for you.
- Submit your application with your CV, and answer a couple of questions that are important to the role
- A short 20-minute phone screen with our HR partner. We will tell you more about our role, the team and business, and allow us to learn more about you, why you applied, and what you can bring to Vaarst. You’ll have the opportunity to ask any questions you have.
- A 1-hour interview with our Software Engineering Manager. This part of the process allows you to get a real feel for the work the team is doing and allows us to learn more about your skillsets. In the interview, we will talk about your previous experience in leadership and testing. We’ll ask some questions around technologies we use, key skills for the role, and what we look for in a team member. Again, you’ll have the opportunity to ask any questions you have.
- Offer! If you are successful in the process, we will follow up with an offer for the role
So, you think you might want to join Vaarst? We don’t blame you - this is an amazing place to work!
What’s in it for you? Not to blow our own trumpet, but you’ll get to work with a passionate, smart and highly driven team with an incredible range of skills. We also offer a competitive salary, up to 33 days’ holiday (starting at 25 days), a £500 loyalty reward after 2 years’ service and a flexible approach to hybrid/connected working, because we know that work-life balance is important too. Other benefits include:
- Private medical insurance including dental and optical cover
- Generous pension scheme
- Progressive and generous parental leave benefits
- Additional training and personal development
- A people focused, inclusive culture with monthly social events
Sound like fun? Then get in touch! Even if you feel you don’t tick all the boxes but are excited about the job and think you have what it takes to hit the ground running, we’d love to hear from you! Please email your CV, along with your salary expectation and a brief outline of why you are the person we need.
Other companies may refer to this role as:
Lead Test Developer, Lead Tester, Lead Automation Tester, Lead QA Engineer, Lead Developer in Test, Test Manager, Lead QA Developer
Vaarst is proud to be an equal opportunities employer