We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our SubSLAM team!
Location: Bristol, UK
Contract: Permanent, full-time
Salary: up to £50,000 - £70,000 depending on Skills and Experience
Closing Date 15th July 2022
We are Vaarst, a technology company building cutting edge products to solve real-world problems, using techniques in artificial intelligence, autonomy, and computer vision. We believe in putting innovation to work and creating a difference in the world with boundary-pushing underwater technology for our clients in offshore wind and the subsea industry. Take a look at one of our products in action https://bit.ly/SubSLAMX2!
We are looking for a highly motivated Senior C++ Software Engineer with development experience of SLAM to join our team in Bristol as a Software Engineer.
This role will be working to develop exciting new capabilities for our SubSLAM X2 Camera system (see it in action https://bit.ly/SubSLAMX2), working primarily in C++ and Python, employing high quality software engineering principles and practices, and exploiting computer vision techniques such as SLAM. This role will be based within our Production Engineering Team, maturing active research into production ready code.
Within the team, you will contribute towards the design, development, and implementation of our products. You will be actively engaged in building quality solutions through peer reviews, continuous improvement and using our continuous integration pipelines. This role will give you the opportunity to get involved in field trials to test and evaluate new functionality and support deployment of software updates to customers.
We work in an exciting and dynamic environment where every day is likely to be a little different but here are some of the main responsibilities you will have in the role:
- Improvements to SLAM including accuracy, tracking, calibration, and other key areas
- Breaking down requirements, building & testing appropriate solutions
- Contributing towards the complete software development process from conception to deployment
- Enhancing the end-to-end life cycle of software development
- Building knowledge in the company; share yours and absorb others’
- Mentor and train more junior members of the team
- Work closely with researchers to design, evaluate, develop, and maintain high quality software to enable cutting edge research in 3D computer vision
About you & what you will bring
We’re looking for an experienced and talented software engineer who has what it takes to make a real impact in this role. If you have these skills and experiences this could be you:
- Developing in C++ and Python
- Experience of working with ROS (Robot Operating System) or similar pub-sub framework
- Git & GitHub
- Experience in SLAM development
- Knowledge of Computer Vision Techniques such as SLAM, Visual Odometry, Structure from Motion, Calibration algorithms.
- Demonstrable & significant experience in industry, or relevant qualification
- Experience of leading a project, feature, or work package
- Excellent communication skills, with both technical peers and business partners
- A great team player, actively to contributing to discussions and decisions
- Motivated to solve problems and make improvements that translate to value in products
If this sounds right up your street, then we want to hear from you!
We have a simple process we take all our candidates through to help ensure you are the right person for us and that Vaarst is the right company for you.
- Submit your application with your CV, and answer a couple of questions that are important to the role
- A short 20-minute phone screen with our HR partner. We will tell you more about our role, the team and business, and allow us to learn more about you, why you applied, and what you can bring to Vaarst. You’ll have the opportunity to ask any questions you have.
- A 1-hour technical interview with one of our Technical Leads. This part of the process allows you to get a real feel for the work the team is doing and allows us to learn more about your skillsets. In the interview, we will look at some code together to assess code fluency, code design, engineering maturity and problem solving. We’ll ask some questions around technologies we use, and what we look for in a team member. Again, you’ll have the opportunity to ask any questions you have.
- Offer! If you are successful in the process, we will follow up with an offer for the role.
So, you think you might want to join Vaarst? We don’t blame you - this is an amazing place to work!
People join Vaarst because they are excited by the possibility of leaving their own mark on the world and developing solutions that solve real world problems. Although we share the same vision, we value varied perspectives, and we adapt to fit different people from all walks of life. Not only does that make for a genuinely awesome team of colleagues, but it also makes day-to-day life more interesting, and it’s how we keep evolving and getting better at what we do.
What’s in it for you? Not to blow our own trumpet, but you’ll get to work with a passionate, smart and highly driven team with an incredible range of skills. We also offer a competitive salary, up to 33 days’ holiday (starting at 25 days), a £500 loyalty reward after 2 years’ service and a flexible approach to hybrid/connected working, because we know that work-life balance is important too. Other benefits include:
- Private medical insurance including dental and optical cover
- Generous pension scheme
- Progressive and generous parental leave benefits
- Additional training and personal development
- A people focused, inclusive culture with monthly social events
Sound like fun? Then get in touch! Even if you feel you don’t tick all of the boxes but are excited about the job and think you have what it takes to hit the ground running, we’d love to hear from you! Please email your CV, along with your salary expectation and a brief outline of why you are the person we need.
Other companies call this role: Software Developer, SLAM Engineer, Computer Vision Engineer
Vaarst is proud to be an equal opportunities employer